I had the pleasure of attending a webinar entitled "Talent on Target," that enlightened me in several ways. We may oftentimes think we know more than the average person, and yet, we have so much more to learn. The difference between good performers and great performers is that extra effort that is put in. I would go so far to say the same goes for writers and the stories they tell.
Ultimately, you are responsible for your results in life. What you put in is what you will get out. You may attempt to find a number of excuses, but they don't substantiate complacency. We all may have challenges that are universal, i.e., job loss, weight gain, loss of a loved one, and financial woes. Likewise, we may have some that are unique, i.e., caring for a sick or disabled loved one, homelessness, fatal diagnoses, and the list could go on for miles. Even in this, we can either accept the challenges and rise above them, or just accept that there is nothing more we can do, and give up.
It was shared that water is extremely hot at 211 degrees Farenheit, but at 212° F , when the water begins to boil and chemically become steam (a gas), spectacular things can occur! I was encouraged to crank up the heat in my endeavors. And for me, this would make things hot and steamy.
What are you willing to do, to reach your goals? Being proactive is good, but must be considered gravely. I heard it described as, "the art of being busy" (without a target in sight). Yet, being productive is, "the ability to have a target and measure activities towards reaching the goal. Life should be results-driven."
If you have come into this year with plans that have been seemingly commandeered by choices you made in your past ... or if you have begun to undertake projects that have no real purpose (other than busy-work), take a moment to step back and look at what you are doing. That moment can mean so much. In another light, just think ... If the driver who ran the red light in the turning lane simply took a moment before slamming into the driver, who seemingly had the right-of-way at the green light, many lives could have been spared the hurt and agony made by a rash and selfish decision.
Willie Jolley said it best when he shared what Dr. Benjamin Mays had to say: "I have only just a minute, only sixty seconds in it. Forced upon me, can't refuse it. Didn't seek it, didn't choose it. I must suffer if I lose it. Give account if I abuse it. Just a tiny little minute, but an eternity is in it.
So, what are you going to do? I'm about to be hot and steamy (pun intended).
JW

No comments:
Post a Comment